Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 11:21:06 +0200

Hi,

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> I believe the main obstacle is that the emacs policy requires a texinfo
> manual for all its component parts.

What is the "component parts"?  I couldn't find the definition.

>  If that can be generated automatically from the org document, then any
> objections probably disappear. Of course, Bastien might object to the
> extra effort required to do the conversion, but if the conversion is
> indeed completely automatic (or, perhaps more likely, a volunteer can be
> found to take care of the conversion and any problems that might arise),
> then he might be amenable to it. But it would be an extra step required
> at release time and would require some coordination.

My issue is all the damn macros.  While it displays the flexibility of
Org, it also makes Org-for-texinfo-manuals less appealing.  I don’t want
to learn new mini documentation language for each manual I might send
patches to.

Maybe a "Library-of-Macros" would go some of the way of at least making it
feel less ad-hoc?

Another annoyance.  When I see something like the an index right after a
headline, I really would like to put the index into the properties drawer:

     ** Installation
        :PROPERTIES:
        :END:

     {{{cindex(installation)}}}

Aside: I’ve been wanting a drawer property for inserting text just before
headings (and maybe just after headings) for a while, e.g.

         EXPORT_BACKEND_{BEFORE, AFTER}, or
         INSERT_{BEFORE, AFTER}

It would also be useful for latex, e.g.

    * Proofs