Re: [O] speed keys for plain lists?

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] speed keys for plain lists?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 09:30:33 +0200

* Bill White <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's a sample of my second iteration.  A poor man's database - still
> pure orgmode and still plain text, but easily parsable:
>
>  - main word|subordinate word, subdivided into grammatical relations A, B, C,
> &c.
>    - identification
>      - main form :: Abbacy
>      - obsolete † :: no
>      - non-naturalized ‖ :: no
>      - pronunciation :: æ•băsi
>      - part of speech :: substantive
>      - specification :: none
>      - status :: default
>      - spellings :: 5-6 abbasy, 6-7 abbacie
>      - inflections :: none
>    - [morphology]
>      - derivation (etymology) :: A modification of the earlier
>           ABBATIE, assimilated to forms like prelacy, mediaeval Latin
>           -acia, -atia.
>      - subsequent form-history ::
>      - miscellaneous facts ::
>    - TODO: significations & illustrative quotations

I am certainly not thinking of all of your use-cases. However, here
is a possible alternative «solution» with headings. Just being
curious: What disadvantages do you see here compared to lists?

*** main word|subordinate word, subdivided into grammatical relations A, B, C,
&c.
:PROPERTIES:  ## or: :identification:-drawer
:mainform: Abbacy
:obsolete: no
:nonnaturalized: no
:pronunciation: æ•basi
:partofspeech: substantive
:specification: none
:status: default
:spellings: 5-6 abbasy, 6-7 abbacie
:...OR...:
:spelling: 5-6 abbasy
:spelling: 6-7 abbacie
:inflections: none
:END:

#+COMMENT: Previous list as properties does have multiple advantages
#+COMMENT: such as column view (+ corresponding edit functionality)

#+COMMENT: Following lines seem to contain potential multi-line
#+COMMENT: text which does not qualify to be handled well in properties:

- [morphology]
  - derivation (etymology) :: A modification of the earlier
       ABBATIE, assimilated to forms like prelacy, mediaeval Latin
       -acia, -atia.
  - subsequent form-history ::
  - miscellaneous facts ::

**** TODO: significations & illustrative quotations

#+COMMENT: I personally prefer todos that can possible get SCHEDULED
#+COMMENT: and/or DEADLINE dates to be headings.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github