Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 12:16:26 +0800

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> Aloha Eric,
>
> Eric Abrahamsen writes:

>>> https://github.com/tsdye/orgmanual
>>
>> Hey, that's perfect! Dunno if that's what I was remembering, but that's
>> exactly what I was after. Even better if it ends up in contrib/
>>
>> Off to copy and paste now...
>
> I hope you find it useful.  Still, I'd be interested to see Oleh
> Krehel's approach.  It is bound to be more sophisticated than mine.

Well, we can cobble something together :) Mostly I was interested in the
index macros -- Info manuals are far more useful with indexes, and to be
honest I was doing anything to avoid learning how to write texinfo.

What might be nice to have in contrib is an exporter derived from the
current texinfo exporter, but specifically set up for Gnu project
manuals: so it does the copyright header, and index macros, and maybe
even the proper DIR integration (?).

I remember where I originally saw this: it was a long thread on
emacs.devel about moving documentation to HTML, which struck me as a
terrible idea. I think Org was raised as a way of lowering the barrier
to writing texinfo manuals for packages, so that we get the best of both
worlds: write in Org, read in Info. I think it would be a great idea to
facilitate that, if possible.