Re: [O] Using org-entities to escape symbols

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] Using org-entities to escape symbols
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 20:33:36 +0000

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM drymer <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi
I didn't explain myself. It inserts four *, as it didn't find the
entity. I'm using emacs 24.5.3 and org-mode 8.34, which is the maint
branch. I've also tried with plain emacs without configuration.

Those emacs and org versions are fine.

It could be one of two things:
1. You forgot to evaluate

    (advice-add 'org-self-insert-command :around #'modi/org-insert-org-entity-maybe)

    What do you see when you do C-h f org-self-insert-command after evaluating that whole code block?

I see

org-self-insert-command is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.

(org-self-insert-command N)

For more information check the manuals.

:before-until advice: ‘modi/org-insert-org-entity-maybe’

Like ‘self-insert-command’, use overwrite-mode for whitespace in tables.
If the cursor is in a table looking at whitespace, the whitespace is
overwritten, and the table is not marked as requiring realignment.

The ":before-until advice: ‘modi/org-insert-org-entity-maybe’" part in there is important. Do you see the same?

2. If from above you see org-self-insert-command being advised correctly, then can you let me know what you get when you do

M-: (modi/org-entity-get-name "*")

You should get "ast" in return when you evaluate that.

Also I am confused why you cannot recreate what I see in emacs -Q. Are you explicitly using "emacs -Q"? Note that that Q is capital (not emacs -q).

Kaushal Modi