Re: [O] babel result chain outdated/inconsistent using var

From: Daniele Pizzolli
Subject: Re: [O] babel result chain outdated/inconsistent using var
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 10:12:49 +0200

On Wed, Apr 06 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Daniele Pizzolli writes:
>
>> Thanks Nicolas for the reply.  Ok, but `org-babel-execute-buffer'
>> produces an inconsistent document right now.
>
> This is because you ask it to. See below.
>
>> Mmm, the same reasoning can be used for arguing about the current
>> behaviour: If I C-c C-c on a block, I expect only the code of the
>> block to be executed, not some other part of the document I am
>> editing.  This behaviour will fix my issue.
>
> You are explicitly asking for a re-execution of a remote source block:
>
>   :var DATA=pid
>
> If you are only interested in the results, you should name them, and use
> that instead, e.g.

Hello,

Oh, thanks Nicolas for the tip.  But it does not work in a reliable
manner.

Calling `org-babel-execute-buffer' in the following snippet, raises:
(error "Reference `pid-result' not found in this buffer")

#+NAME: pid
#+BEGIN_SRC shell :results value :cache no
printf '%s' "${$}"
#+END_SRC

#+NAME: pid-result
#+RESULTS: pid

#+NAME: echo-pid
#+BEGIN_SRC shell :var DATA=pid-result :results value
printf '%s' "${DATA}"
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: echo-pid

Using the C-c C-c on the blocks also does not work...  unless you also
do a C-c C-c on `#+NAME: pid-result' which is cumbersome if you have a
chain of blocks and results.  Do you think that this can be fixed
easily?

Thanks in advance,
Daniele