Re: [O] [OT] Git plus Syncthing: breaking hard links

From: briangpowell .
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Git plus Syncthing: breaking hard links
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 19:29:35 -0400

* Strongly recommend you pay close attention to Nick Dokos--he's brilliant--agree totally with his suggestions; "hardlinks cannot span filesystems" etc.

** "hardlinks breaking"--in rsync I throw -H to include/follow hard links across filesystems when syncing.

*** I'm with Nick though again--not sure what you mean by "hardlinks breaking"

* Thanks for the "syncthing" link and comments--its open source:

"Syncthing
https://syncthing.net/
Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to ..."

** Sounds great, hope its easy to implement, thanks.

*** I prefer rsync for such problems at the moment.

* Suggest you use FuseFS and sshfs---and on her MacOS she can use BREW to install the FUSE .DMG package and use OSX shell to get to the filesystems that you're willing to share (you mentioned you were worried about providing too much).

** Not recommending SAMBA+CIFS protocol--especially right now, since there is a vulnerability to be revealed on 12APR16

** Or you alone could use FuseFS and sshfs the dirs you want her to have access to on the machine you both share/access (you seem to indicate she has full and comfortable access to those dirs already--so installing the FUSE .DMG package is probably overkill).

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> This isn't really a Org question at all, but you all are smart and
> friendly people, and are likely to have run into this situation before.
> So I'm trying here before I turn to StackOverflow!
>
> I have Org files in a git repo, synced across two Linux machines. At the
> same time, I have a few directories on these computers that I sync with
> colleagues, via Syncthing.
>
> One of these colleagues also uses Org, so instead of giving her access
> to my Org git repo, which would be a bit too much exposure, I hardlink
> some of the Org files into the Syncthing directories, and she accesses
> them there. With auto-revert-mode turned on, it's not too bad.
>
> Except that the hardlinks keep breaking! There are so many different
> systems interacting here that I have no idea where to even start
> looking. She's on a Mac, not Linux, and uses a fairly recent version of
> Emacs, plus Org from the ELPA package. She is *not* using git on her
> machine, just Syncthing and Emacs.

How do the hardlinks break exactly?

Hardlinks to a file are limited to the same filesystem: a file with
inode number N has essentially two or more directory entries, with
different names associated to the same inode number. Syncthing certainly
cannot maintain that as it copies the file to the cloud and back, so
there seem to be plenty of opportunities for breakage, but it's not
clear which one(s) obtain.

--
Nick