Re: [O] orgmode and a database

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [O] orgmode and a database
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 10:31:33 +0000

>>> "Ken" == Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> writes:

    > On 2016-04-04 at 15:46, Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> wrote:
    >> I am looking for a sort of database I could use with orgmode. Anybody
    >> has a suggestion? What's about recutils?

    > Can you be more specific?

Well my first shot would be something like a mediawiki software which is
connected say to a mysql server. I can search wiki, but then most likely
I could move files in a directory and run grep.

So what about some functionally openoffice or filemaker (a commercial
software which runs on Mac or on Windows) provide. You write data in a
table and then can run searches which produce new (smaller tables).

    > Org tables? They can be joined...

Now I don't understand what you mean be joined, linked?

    > Org supports SQLite
    > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-sqlite.html
    > http://howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/literate-database.html

Yeah that looks a bit to hackerish to me.

    > And many use Org PROPERTY drawers as a database (for example, the
    > address book support/examples).

That is maybe more what I need, could that be used in tables?

Uwe