[O] How to do proper folding and semantic markup

From: Eduardo Mercovich
Subject: [O] How to do proper folding and semantic markup
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:44:31 -0300

Dear all.

I'm using org-mode as a writer and it is simply fantastic. One of the
things I enjoy more is the folding. A huge report like the one I'm
working on seems sooo easy... ;)

However, I don't know how to integrate that with some semantic markup
and the latex exporter at the same time (BTW, org+latex=awesomness!).

I'll use the abstract as example, but the same idea is valid for other
semantic markup like front, main and backmatter.

As a MWE let's see this org file.

[some latex preamble]

* Abstract

The abstract body text (even with some level 2 headers in the middle).

* Process

** A level 2 header

It's body text and the rest of the report...

When this is exported to latex (using a slightly modified memoir class),
the 1st header has "Abstract" as title, but doesn't express that it *is*
an abstract. So, for example, it can be styled, or it can be searched
inside specifically.

The org manual(1), says:

... place the abstract and #+LATEX: commands for frontmatter before the
first exported headline, e.g.,
#+BEGIN_abstract
  [Abstract here]
#+END_abstract

The question is: how do I use the 1st header (keeping it's folding and
referencing in org) while at the same time expressing that it is an
abstract? How (if) can be done not only before the ToC, LoF and LoT but
after them?

I already tried this, without success:

[some latex preamble]

* Abstract
#+BEGIN_abstract

The abstract body text (even with some level 2 headers in the middle).

#+END_abstract

* Process

It's body text and the rest of the report...

Is there is no mechanism yet (which I doubt) and if it makes sense, is
it possible to use properties for this? Something like:

[some latex preamble]

* Abstract
:PROPERTIES:
:latex-type:    abstract
:END:

The abstract body text (even with some level 2 headers in the middle).

* Process

It's body text and the rest of the report...

In this way each exporter backend can use that info as it pleases. Latex
to use it's specific markup, html to make a class, etc.

Please forgive me if the answer is obvious, but I've searched and found
nothing. I did my homework and I'm sure it's there, but obviously I'm
not searching with the appropiate keywords.

As always, thank you in advance for sharing your time and experience. :)

Best...

(1) http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#orgheadline17
--
eduardo mercovich