Re: [O] long delay after selecting capture template

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] long delay after selecting capture template
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 14:07:08 +0000

On Thursday, 24 Mar 2016 at 09:27, Allan Streib wrote:

[...]

> Debugging the function, the "stall" happens on the indicated line below,
> the call to org-get-x-clipboard with the value 'SECONDARY

[...]

> I've heard of primary and clipboard X11 selections, but not secondary. I
> found a web post[1] suggesting it's a "near-extinct" feature.
>
> If I comment out that line the delay vanishes.

I've had this problem in the past. I found that setting this variable helps:

,----[ C-h v x-selection-timeout RET ]
| x-selection-timeout is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
| Its value is 10
|
| Documentation:
| Number of milliseconds to wait for a selection reply.
| If the selection owner doesn’t reply in this time, we give up.
| A value of 0 means wait as long as necessary.  This is initialized from the
| "*selectionTimeout" resource.
`----

For me, a value of 10 works well in most cases.  Sometimes this means
that the selection from another application (e.g. the browser) is not
found but at least it doesn't stall.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-668-g809a83