Re: [O] Orgtbl: edit table like code, in a separate buffer?

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Orgtbl: edit table like code, in a separate buffer?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 21:59:23 +0100

Hi Rafael

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Rafael Ramirez Morales
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I was wondering if it was technically possible to invoke a separate buffer
> to edit a table in org mode.
>
> My working scenario is a table with several columns with limited width so as
> to edit a buffer with org-startup-indented on. I would like to achieve
> something like what is done with source blocks: upon invoking a command, the
> table would open in a separate buffer, with indent (i.e. visual
> line-wrapping) option off and that ignores column width limits.
>
> Is there any way to achieve this?

Not in the way that you describe. As a workaround you could
temporarily remove the narrowing cookies <10>. Take care of not
breaking a TBLFM when moving a whole row with all cookies out of the
table, in this case e. g. keep an empty row.

> Is there another way to go about this problem?

There is "C-u C-u C-c `" (`org-table-edit-field') to fully view and
optionally edit field by field one field at a time in a separate
window described in (info "(org) Built-in table editor").

Michael