[O] Add caching to org-buffer-property-keys

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Add caching to org-buffer-property-keys
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 12:29:36 +0100

Hi!

In short: can we get a cached org-buffer-property-keys please?

My background story:

I love using following function which gives me a neat functionality:
I mark a string, press the keybinding shortcut, and gets asked which
property should be replaced/filled with the marked region text.

Very handy when you've got a new phone number of a contact which
should find its way to the associated property.

(defun my-org-region-to-property (&optional property)
  (interactive)
  ;; if no region is defined, do nothing
  (if (use-region-p)
      ;; if a region string is found, ask for a property and set property to
      ;; the string in the region
      (let ((val (replace-regexp-in-string
                  "\\`[ \t\n]*" ""
                  (replace-regexp-in-string "[ \t\n]*\\'" ""
                                            (substring (buffer-string)
                                                       (- (region-beginning) 1)
                                                       (region-end))))
                 )
            ;; if none was stated by user, read property from user
            (prop (or property
                      (org-read-property-name))))
        ;; set property
        (org-set-property prop val))))

A big drawback is that I have to wait 18 seconds(!) until
org-read-property-name which calls org-buffer-property-keys asks for
the property. This is a real show stopper for this cool function.

Since the properties of a buffer do not change that often, caching
its previous result would make sense to me. This way, I only have to
wait 18 seconds once per file on the first call.

An alternative would be a org-read-property-name which uses only the
properties of the current heading.

Thanks for your support!

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github