Re: [O] non-standard link errors

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] non-standard link errors
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 10:28:22 +0100

Hello,

Simon Thum <address@hidden> writes:

> this reminds me of my issue with tel: links. I also would have
> preferred to have them exported "pass-through", but AFAICT this
> requires me to come up with a trival function for every possible
> backend: those I know, those I don't, and those that may not exist
> yet.
>
> I cannot switch to the raw: solution (due to vcard export). I'm not
> currently experiencing problems, but I would like to suggest that
> maybe such a trival default handler could be added to the backends as
> some well-known property to be available to those who set the broken
> link handler to e.g. 'fallback. The onus would be on the user to do
> this, since correctness of output may suffer. Of course, basic
> sanitation should still be done in such a handler, but preferably no
> spectacular failure*.

As I explained, there is already a default handler in every major
back-end.

However, Org needs to tell links with a type from the others (internal
links). This is what `org-add-link-type' is for. This has nothing to do
with export.

To put it differently, when Org encounters a foo:bar link, there are two
options. Either "foo" is a registered link type, or not. If the former,
Org tries to use whatever export function was provided, or fall-backs to
the default handler. In the latter, Org considers it to be an internal
link. Since there is probably no #+NAME: foo:bar, <<foo:bar>>
or * foo:bar in the document, the export process returns an error, by
default.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou