[O] Two functions for efficient headline navigation

From: Christoph LANGE
Subject: [O] Two functions for efficient headline navigation
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:30:07 +0100

Dear Org community,

at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#org-jump-to-child and
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#org-jump-to-id I have contributed
two interactive functions to aid structural navigation in large, complex
trees (source: http://orgmode.org/worg/code/elisp/org-jump.el).  The
latter function I had already introduced on this list on 2015-03-31.

Related to these functions I have a comment on Org's design.
org-jump-to-child (prompts for the title of a sub-heading of the current
heading and navigates there) was fairly complex to implement.  Coming
from an XML background I was surprised to see that Org has no notion of
a data model or of the semantics of a document and its tree, but that I
was basically required to implement an algorithm to walk through all
sub-headings and collect them.  Has an implementation based on a data
model ever been considered?  OTOH I could imagine it would not be easily
to implement this efficiently: as an Org document is technically a text
file that the user can edit without any restrictions, one would have to
continuously sync some internal data structure with the user's
text-level edits.

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Lange, Enterprise Information Systems Department
Applied Computer Science @ University of Bonn; Fraunhofer IAIS

→ Project management / coordination job in WDAqua Marie Curie ITN
  http://eis.iai.uni-bonn.de/Jobs.html