[O] org table with auto-incrementing numbers in a column

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: [O] org table with auto-incrementing numbers in a column
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:36:41 -0500

Hi,

I am trying to get auto-incrementing numbers in the first column in an org table. The goal is to recalculate the numbers after adding/removing rows.

I checked out the org FAQ: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#fill-table-column-with-incremental-numbers

But I am still not getting it to work as I need to.

Below is the minimum working example. Paste the below in an org buffer.

| N |   |
|---+---|
|   |   |
|   |   |
|   |   |
|   |   |
#+TBLFM: address@hidden::@2$1=1

Now with the point anywhere in the table, when I hit "C-c *" or M-x org-table-recalculate, I expect the first column to be auto-populated with numbers 1,2,3,4 (or that's how I understood from the tutorial in the FAQ link above).

But it does not work that way. Instead I need to go to each row and hit C-c *.

So I am definitely missing out on something that's preventing the whole table to be recalculated in one go. Any help?

Thanks!

Org-mode version 8.3.3 (release_8.3.3-597-gcaf66e @ /home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/emacs-25/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)

--
Kaushal Modi