Re: [O] What does the _ in `(defun org-element-section-parser (_) ...)'

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] What does the _ in `(defun org-element-section-parser (_) ...)' stands for?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:13:04 +0100

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> I guess it is a required signature for the function (i.e. some other
> function will call it with some argument), and _ indicates it is not
> used in the body. If you were to give it the arg a name, then checkdoc
> would complain about it not being in the docstring.

Sounds reasonable, thanks for the explanation.
But it does not seem to be a true guess, I tried it out with:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun my-foo (_)
  "Hello World.
Argument _ unknown argument."
  (+ 1 1))
#+END_SRC

and checkdoc asked me to add the "Argument ..." part for "_" to the docstring.

I don't remember that I've seen this before, so maybe this is a rather new
feature/convention?

--
cheers,
Thorsten