Re: [O] org-player and switch to lexical binding in org.el

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] org-player and switch to lexical binding in org.el
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 21:41:32 +0100

Hi Nicolas and Paul

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> I replaced S-expressions with functions of two arguments. The Org world
> is a better place with one less `eval'.

Just to confirm: Updating org-player.el to 1.0.1 makes Org links to
media files play again. Thank you both for your changes.

I made some thoughts about the user experience of this incompatible
change:

Following such an Org link after updating Org without taking too much
care of `org-file-apps' or as a new Org user silently falls back to
open the file e. g. directly in an Emacs buffer just as with a default
`org-file-apps'. In this situation a user may well not be aware of
that `org-file-apps' has fallen short of an application registered
there. Or, even if I read the Org News I might not be aware of all the
additions to `org-file-apps' I got under the hood. Or the user does
not read the Org News or does not understand the consequences to its
very end.

For all this I suggest a simple migration hint like the error in my
attached patch. Did I miss its disadvantage?

Michael