Re: [O] Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: [O] Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:15:46 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> "Loris Bennett" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Almost, but not quite: you still need your own always-on server
>>> somewhere to make it work. I use the Syncthing app on my Android phone,
>>> so that the phone kind of works as a "ferry" for getting files back and
>>> forth between my laptop and desktop. It doesn't work reliably, though
>>> (and I don't always have my phone with me).
>>>
>>> I'm considering flashing a nice router to use as a home server, largely
>>> just to make Syncthing work without my having to think about it.
>>
>> If you are going to run a home server, would ownCloud be an option?
>
> I tried to put that on an Ubuntu server I've got hosted somewhere, and
> gosh did it try to install a lot of stuff. Nor would it start up after
> it was installed! It felt like a whole lot of bulk.

I have ownCloud running on a decidedly unsuitable wheezy old netbook
(Eee PC 1000HA) under Ubuntu 15.10.  The only thing I particularly
remember about the installation was having to fiddle around with
self-signed SSL certificates.

I mainly sync the calendars between phone and my main laptop, plus a
small number of small files which I don't have in Git.  I just switch on
the laptop when I think something needs syncing.  I backup the ownCloud
directory on the nettop to a USB drive attached to the router using the
standard Ubuntu backup program (duplicity, I think).  I actually think
that only having to backup a single machine is one of the main
advantages of ownCloud.

> On the other hand, I've set up git repositories on that server (I don't
> put Syncthing there because I'm syncing many, many gigabytes of data),
> and a caldav thing with Radicale, and some HTML pages... Perhaps at some
> point will make sense to just install an omnibus package like
> OwnCloud.

YMMV depending on what exactly you need to sync, but it works for me,
although I should probably move it to something like a Rasperry Pi,
which I could leave on.

Cheers,

Loris