[O] Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782 (??)

From: address@hidden
Subject: [O] Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782 (??)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 14:36:31 +0100 (CET)

First of all, I really like using Org-mode!

A couple of days ago I discovered I could rapidly insert occasional math expressions in org files with CDLaTeX so I tried to activate it with 'M-x org-cdlatex-mode' but Org mode couldn't find cdlatex.el as it wasn't present in the emacs' folders. I downloaded cdlatex.el version 4.7 (2014) from Carsten Dominik's gitHub repo as suggested by Rasmus in this mailing-list. I found all the load paths with 'C-h v RET load-path', picked one, placed cdlatex.el in it and proceeded to activate CDLaTeX in an org file, to try it out.

Initially everything seemed to work fine, for example 'C-c {' yielded a math environment of my choice. Then I discovered that the backquote symbol was not recognized. Everytime I press it, I get the 'Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782' message in the mini-buffer. This happens only if I'm in CDLaTeX mode, if I turn it off, backquote gives no error and get printed on screen.

I soon realized that the majority of commands in CDLaTeX are triggered by this fundamental key, without it, CDLaTeX is pretty much useless! I posted my problem on emacs.stackexchange.com but I've received mixed suggestions and ended up more confused than before. If I type 'C-h k' and press the backquote key, I learn this (see everything enclosed within <pre> tags):

<pre>
` (translated from <M-kp-9>) runs the command cdlatex-math-symbol,
which is an interactive Lisp function in `cdlatex.el'.

It is bound to `, <menu-bar> <Org> <LaTeX> <Insert math symbol>.

(cdlatex-math-symbol)

Read a char from keyboard and insert corresponding math char.
The combinations are defined in `cdlatex-math-symbol-alist'.  If not in a LaTeX math environment, you also get a pair of dollars.
</pre>

I have the tilde and backquote associated to the same key on my keyboard, it's the key right below the 'Esc' key, in the upper left corner. I also have these lines in .emacs file:
<pre>
;;; a key for tilde symbol
(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-2") (kbd "~"))
;;; a key for backtick symbol
(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-6") "")
(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-9") (kbd "`"))
</pre>

Somebody pointed out that I should change the key associated with backquote but I'd really like to keep it in that position because it's efficient when I type. I really don't know what's the problem here and how to fix it. Can someone please explain it to me please and possibly help me fix it?

I'm using Windows 7, emacs 24.4, Org 8.2, cdlatex 4.7 (2014), AUCTEX 11.88.