[O] Problems with capture and lisp code

From: Thomas Holst
Subject: [O] Problems with capture and lisp code
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:55:13 +0100

Hi,

for my work flow I would like to set up a capture template based on the
ideas described in:

http://www.jboecker.de/2010/04/14/general-reference-filing-with-org-mode.html#sec-5

The original is based on remember but I want to use capture. The
principle is as follows:

In the capture template run some lisp code which appends a function to
`org-capture-before-finalize-hook' which calls `org-attach-mv' to attach
a file.

The function run from capture template looks like this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun th:filing-install-attach-mv-hook ()
  "call this from a capture template to install th:filing-attach-mv-hook"
  (add-hook 'org-capture-before-finalize-hook 'th:filing-attach-mv-hook)
  (make-local-variable 'kill-buffer-hook)
  (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'th:filing-uninstall-attach-mv-hook)
  (add-hook 'org-capture-mode-hook 'th:filing-uninstall-attach-mv-hook)
  (message "finalize-hook: %s" org-capture-before-finalize-hook))
#+end_src

In the messages buffer I can see that at run time of the function
`th:filing-attach-mv-hook' is in `org-capture-before-finalize-hook'.

Now when I look at `org-capture-before-finalize-hook' in the final
capture buffer `th:filing-attach-mv-hook' is not there.

The same happens with `kill-buffer-hook'. I also tried
`org-capture-prepare-finalize-hook'. Same result.

So I am puzzled here :-(. Is there some caching mechanism involved? For
the author of the article stated above this worked with remember - but
why does it not work with capture.

Any pointers welcome. Thanks for looking into this.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
  Thomas Holst