Re: [O] Scope issue: "SCHEDULED/DEADLINE" in blocks are being evaluated

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [O] Scope issue: "SCHEDULED/DEADLINE" in blocks are being evaluated
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 13:33:52 +0100

Hi Karl!

>> Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Unfortunately, this fix (or any other commit?) prevents my
> non-recurring tasks to be completed when I got "DEADLINE" or
> "SCHEDULED" in the body text within blocks or comments.

> It's an edge-case but it should be fixed. When I do mark the following three
> example headers as done ...
>
>     *** NEXT test with quote
>
>     #+BEGIN_QUOTE
>     ,----[ examples ]
>     | DEADLINE: <2016-01-31 Sun +1w>
>     `----
>     #+END_QUOTE
>

>     *** NEXT test with example
>
>     #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>     ,----[ examples ]
>     | DEADLINE: <2016-01-31 Sun +1w>
>     `----
>     #+END_EXAMPLE
>

>     *** NEXT test with :
>
>     : ,----[ examples ]
>     : | DEADLINE: <2016-01-31 Sun +1w>
>     : `----

I can reproduce your statement.  Even the subtree containing just a
repeater without string DEADLINE or SCHEDULED does not get completed.

* TODO Thing

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
<2016-01-01 Sun +1w>
#+END_QUOTE

I agree with you that this behavior is unfortunate.

AFAICS there is nothing yet in the documentation about this case.  This
means we can define a behavior.  What about the requirement:

Do neither touch nor take into account any date contained in any block
of an item for progressing the item.

I think this requirement could be discussed, corrected, refined and
finally be implemented.

Meanwhile you need to take care of such items and rewrite the todo
keyword manually.  Org files are still text files. ;)

BTW the documentation of `org-todo' has: "With a numeric prefix arg of
-1, cancel repeater to allow marking as DONE."

> So I guess the new scope is too generous.

I bet that this issue has been there all the time.

Best regards,
--
Marco Wahl
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2