Re: [O] individual alerts

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] individual alerts
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:17:45 -0500

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> "cschr" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Im a software developer and new to emacs. I want to maintain my calendar
>> appointments in
>> orgmode, and define individual alerts for each appointment (which also
>> includes to have no
>> alert for some appointments). Using the emacs diary is not enough for me – I
>> want orgmode!
>>

>> I found out already how to export SCHEDULED and DEADLINE timestamps from
>> orgmode to
>> iCalendar VEVENTs, but the VALARM TRIGGERs produced always have the same
>> value (VALARM
>> TRIGGER is always “P0DT0H0M0S”). How can I define an individual alert for
>> each appointment
>> in ORGMODE, and have the alert values exported as icalendar VALARM TRIGGERs?
>>

>> The :APPT_WARNTIME: property in orgmode seems to do nothing, nor does it
>> seem to help if I
>> add a “WARNTIME …” text to the orgmode item – this seems to work for emacs
>> diary entries
>> only.
>>

> There are various constraints on the item in order to get a VALARM: it
> has to be a TODO item, it has to have a timestamp with both date and
> time in it and the timestamp has to *follow* the properties drawer.
>
> I think this last one is a bug in ox-icalendar.el: when I add a
> SCHEDULED timestamp, it gets added right after the headline, pushing
> the properties drawer down, and ISTR that that is now the mandated order
> of org things, but that seems to break ox-icalendar.el's
> ability to find the timestamp.
>
> This was mostly trial-and-error (with just a look or two into the code),
> so it might be wrong.
>
> However, the following org file:
>
> * TODO foo
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :APPT_WARNTIME: 10
>   :END:
>   SCHEDULED: <2016-01-13 Wed 12:00>
>   something to do
>
> exports to a reasonable-looking ics file:

> whereas the "normal" position of the timestamp:
>
> * TODO foo
>   SCHEDULED: <2016-01-13 Wed 12:00>
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :APPT_WARNTIME: 10
>   :END:
>   something to do
>
> leads to a rather sorry-looking ics file:

The OP sent me a private reply, saying that he couldn't get it to work,
but he is using an old org version (whatever comes with emacs 24.3.1
IIRC, presumably pre-8.0).

I should have mentioned that I'm using fairly recent versions:

Org-mode version 8.3.3 (release_8.3.3-437-g4de71e)

on this machine and an even later one on the machine where I did the
above testing.

--
Nick