Re: [O] Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Embedding and extracting license/author information in an image file
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 06:06:15 -0500

Julien Cubizolles writes:

> I often include images in my org documents and would like to properly
> cite the license, and/or author.

This is usually done manually in a citation in the caption I think.

>I was thinking that this could be
> simplified by:
>
> * embedding the license/author information in some metadata of the jpg
>   or png file (it seems that some standard called xmp can be used to
>   embed data in png/jpg [fn:1]) preferably using some emacs tool

Making the xml would not be too difficult in emacs, but I guess you
would have to call some external program to insert xmp into the images.

> * getting org to add a footnote with this information when linking to a
>   file with this kind of information.

This would not work reliably. I could imagine an insert figure link
which would check for the data and do that, or perhaps a
post-insert-link hook function, but neither of these would work if you
simply type in a link. What should happen with images that don't contain
the data?

> Could it be done? Do you know of an emacs package providing read/write
> access to this metadata?

None I know of. I looked at something similar for pdf, but did not find
anything but external programs.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F