Re: [O] syncing my life (orgmode :)) to a mobile (android) device..cant

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: [O] syncing my life (orgmode :)) to a mobile (android) device..cant find a holistic reliable way..how do you guys manage to do it?
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 18:00:27 -1000

I take a slightly different approach. Google calendar is my main
calendar and this works across devices including my Android phone and
tablet.

However I use the old-fashioned emacs diary, which org-mode of course
easily incorporates. Diary is simple to work with.

When I start up emacs, I use gcalcli and some custom elisp to fetch my
Google calendar and regenerate the diary file completely, every time.

On exiting emacs, I run a diff (through custom elisp) to find changes to
the diary file and again use gcalcli to push those changes back to
Google calendar.

I don't try to sync contacts or notes bidirectionally. I do use
mobileorg to make sure my tablet/smart phone has a copy of all my
org-mode stuff. If I do happen to edit on the tablet/smart phone, it's a
manual process to put that back to the master, but this is not my usual
working mode. I have a lightweight laptop (Asus Zenbook) and carry that
whenever possible.

Overall I sync to and from a master at strongspace.com, which supports
use of rsync.

I suppose some day I should get away from diary, but it works really
well.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i