Re: [O] Fwd: Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 07:51:39 -0800

Hi Eric and all,

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday,  1 Dec 2015 at 07:12, Matt Price wrote:
>> I love Zotxt. my only concern is for those people who run a remote Emacs.
>> If, say, you run emacs on a server that you access by ssh, it will not be
>> possible to process your citations with org.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this.
>
> Is the implication that one will need to be connected to the Internet to
> be able to export citations?  If so, this is not good.

No, you should not need to be connected to the Internet.  As I envision
things, Emacs will just speak to the Zotero installation on the local
machine.  That's what zotxt does now.  So, there should be no problem as
long as Firefox, Zotero and zotxt are running on the same machine that
is running Emacs.

I suppose the concern is that someone running a remote Emacs is likely
doing so on a machine that does not have a GUI...and hence may not have
Firefox installed, and consequently won't have Zotero or zotxt.  In that
case, citation processing would have to go another route.

Are there a lot of people in that situation?

Best,
Richard