Re: [O] Moving from org-mode 6.33/7.9.3 to 8.3.2

From: Steve Moreau
Subject: Re: [O] Moving from org-mode 6.33/7.9.3 to 8.3.2
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 08:33:31 +0100

Hello,

Well, actually, it seems that I did not understand anything at all :-)
Sorry about that, but I am new to the source code, and it is not very clear to me.

So if I try to summarize what I have got:
- In the past, what I could see with the standard 'M-x fill-region' over paragraphs or lists with empty lines between each inner items, was probably performed thanks to several calls to org-fill-paragraph. Removing the org-fill-paragraph-separate-nobreak-p function simply highlights that I was fortunate to use it this way before, and there is just no org-fill-region.
- There are no unit tests, nor past discussions about how different text block contents should be filled with this new function

Please tell if I am still wrong, and otherwise I gonna try to implement some unit tests over different cases I may think about.
Have a nice day,

Hello,

Steve Moreau <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for you answer.
> OK, I understand. That explains why I needed to add blank lines between
> list items before to fill region, such as:
>
>   - item1
>
>   - item2
>
>   This is a new paragraph
>
> I have 2 more questions for you please.
> Let say I would like to give a hand and try to improve the org-fill-region
> to deal with this case.

Actually, there is nothing to improve. It needs to be built from
scratch. There is no function in Org to fill a region ATM.

> - Would it be local to fill-region only, as I would suspect, or would it
> put a mess around because it is used in some other contexts I am not aware
> of, and would it be something interesting for the org-mode according
> to you?

I think we should bind M-q to org-fill-paragraph. This function could
delegate the work to `org-fill-region' when a region is active.

> - If you wanted to develop it, would you surround it with a when condition
> so that user can disable it?

Why would someone want to disable it?

Regards,

--