Re: [O] Org Mode and PDF Notes!

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Org Mode and PDF Notes!
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:43:52 -0600

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> I think that there is no standard way of storing the highlight
> contents. I chose Repligo over EZPDF because it gives you access to
> the text of the highlights!

> Okular, I think, stores your annotations in its own database, rather
> than in the pdf. You can (I think!) attach the annotations to the pdf
> from inside Okular. At leasts, that's what I remember from when I was
> looking around.

> Repligo stores the highlighted text in the "subject" field of the
> annotation. It's possible that the content of the annotation is stored
> in some other field, like "content". Maybe you can try:

Repligo (as you say) grabs the text in the highlighted region and adds
it to the "subject" connected to the highlight. I think it is rather
unique in doing so. AFAIK, Okular, pdf-tools, or other android tools
(mupdf, xodo reader) do not not do this. In other words, it is thanks of
Repligo's previous extraction that the function on Matt's blog is able
get the text of the highlighted region.

Otherwise, you would need a means of going back into the region
highlighted and extracting the embedded text. Pdf-tools doesn't
currently extract the text, but it might not be that difficult to modify
it to do so, since it already has the bounds of the highlighted region
and can select and copy text embedded in the pdf.

Best,
Matt