Re: [O] Allowing loose ordering in Org files

From: Thomas S . Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Allowing loose ordering in Org files
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 19:31:40 -1000

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> There is another vector to consider, and a far more nebulous one: How does it
> impact Org's "luft"? That is, the feeling of ease and comfort Org conveys in
> its use.
>
> There are many highly functional alternatives to Org that I've tried and
> rejected because they lack the easy grace of Org. That grace is why I've been
> able to stick with it after almost 9,000 handled tasks. Any perception of
> "inertia" in a tasking system causes me to psychologically avoid it, even if I
> have no rational basis for that aversion.
>
> I sincerely hope that those with high technical motives will keep in mind the
> usability of Org beyond purely technical considerations. It should say
> something that a long-time user is unhappy with the way Org "feels" in 8.3.

I admire John's many accomplishments and value his membership in the Org
mode community.

Is the hook he is requesting a difficult thing to implement?  Would it
be possible to describe the customization variable in a "Super User"
section that is clearly not for the faint at heart?

I'm not suggesting anyone should implement a hook or create a
customization variable, I'm just curious (and unable to figure out
answers on my own).

All the best,
Tom

--