Re: [O] Changes to contrib

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Changes to contrib
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 19:02:18 +0100

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Rasmus,
>
> 2015ko azaroak 8an, Rasmus-ek idatzi zuen:
>
> [...]
>

>> Do you have signed FSF papers?  I don't know if there's any desire to move
>> ox-taskjuggler.el to core, nor whether it would be possible (since I don’t
>> know if "tj" and Baptiste have signed FSF papers).
>>

> [...]
>
>> Also, you introduce a dependency on subr-x, which may or may not be an
>> issue since it’s in contrib.
>
> FWIW, my impression of the way contrib is handled is that copyright
> assignment is not required, though it is strongly encouraged to leave
> open the possibility of moving a package to core.  Similarly, the
> restrictions on emacs version support in org core do not apply.

AFAIK: this is correct.  But we can't move a package from contrib to core
if significant parts are written by authors without assigned copyright.
As I said, I don’t know what a taskjuggler is, so I don’t know how
relevant that consideration is here.

> (I do like this system since it allows org-related packages to be
> effectively community-maintained, and different people take on their
> maintenance at different times, as we see here.

Indeed.  But it has a risk if contrib is thought of as a staging area.
Again, I guess this should be done on a case-by-case basis.

> I’d be happy if of the org-related packages on github were migrated to
> contrib, so that they don’t bitrot when their original authors move on.

I agree with you, but others want to move stuff out of contrib.

Rasmus

--
m-mm-mmm-mmmm bacon!