Re: [O] bug in org-habits

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [O] bug in org-habits
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 20:01:42 -0500

> As a matter of fact, going to the end of an entry is not negligible, because
> of inlinetasks. Also, it is not really O(1) since it depends on the size of
> the entry. To get an idea, on my computer, moving past a 500 lines entry
> takes around 0.001s. I can imagine slower computers, or larger entries,
> neither being unheard of, having a slightly noticeable delay.

I'm having a hard time buying the performance argument, since I've been using
Org-mode for many years, and never has this been a problem. You're making me
pay a cost (enforced structure), for a value only one of us perceives.

> Also, supporting both locations means that users will pay the full price in
> entries without a property drawer, even if they chose the fast path, i.e.,
> drawer at the beginning of the entry, in the first place. This kind of
> defeats some of the advantages of the current state.

It wouldn't be "users": it would be people intentionally opting to allow
floating properties. _I_ would be paying the price, and I will pay it happily
to keep 8.2 behavior.

John