Re: [O] problems with export and :cache

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] problems with export and :cache
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 15:17:59 +0000

Hi Andreas,

2015ko urriak 29an, Andreas Leha-ek idatzi zuen:
> Thanks a lot.  I applied your patch but it seems that your patch does
> not solve the problem in this specific situation.  Or do I miss
> something?

That patch only solves one possible source of the problem.  There are
others, which are likely affecting you.

>> I personally regard the babel cache as dangerous and unpredictable in
>> its present form.  You’re much better off using language-specific
>> caching/memoization features and/or a disciplined regime of manual
>> reevaluation.
>
> I agree and avoid the caching mechanism generally.  But all alternative
> approaches do involve more work, so I am regularly tempted to use it
> again.
>
> Generally, I think that caching is a sensitive area.  And if we think
> that it is unpredictable and advise people to stay off of it, we are
> better off removing it than offering it in this state.  At least until
> it behaves (more) predictable.

I agree.  I would be in favor of putting strong warnings in the
documentation that caching is not to be relied on.  (We shouldn’t
remove it from the codebase entirely for backwards compatibility
reasons.)  But we should hear a consensus from the community before
proceeding down this road.

--
Aaron Ecay