Re: [O] org-agenda-scheduled-leaders and repeating tasks

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] org-agenda-scheduled-leaders and repeating tasks
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 09:20:01 -0500

> cesar mena <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> i tracked this down to the function org-time-string-to-absolute.  when
>> rendering the agenda it gets called with today as its DAYNR argument,
>> which causes "org-closest-date" to return "today" for the case of
>> repeating timestamps.
>>
>> i can understand why it is done this way, and i find it useful.
>> however for some tasks, i'd rather the counter not reset lest i miss
>> something for longer than i should have (the smoke alarm case for
>> example).
>
> I fixed the issue with a rather opinionated change.
> `org-agenda-repeating-timestamp-show-all' no longer applies on ".+" and
> "++" repeaters.

While I agree in principe with this change, I wonder if we could make an
exception for habits. Habits (org-habit.el) customarily use a notation
like this:

* Go for a run
  :PROPERTIES:
  :STYLE:    habit
  :END:
  <2015-10-16 Fri 16:00 .+1d/2d>

This will appear in the agenda with a consistency graph indicating the
last n days of completion (depending on org-habit-preceding-days).
Before the change in commit a427098b57c747ecc76feb0593f32922a1e12f67,
these would appear in my daily agenda at their scheduled time,
regardless of whether I had missed a day or two. Now, if I miss a day,
the habit drops to the bottom of the agenda (it no longer appears at the
scheduled time). IMO, this is undesired behavior; I want to be reminded
of the habit at the same time each day regardless of whether I have done
it on previous days, especially since the consistency graph gives me all
the information I need about past completions.

Changing the timestamp to +1d/2d will is not an option, since the
timestamp only advances one day upon completion. This leads to an
incoherent consistency graph. The graph color remains red, which
indicates incompletion, and the habit stays on the daily agenda, even
though I have just completed it.

In short, org-habit seems to want a + notation for the purposes of the
agenda display and a .+ notation for the purposes of resetting the
timestamp. What is the best solution?

Thanks,
Matt