Re: [O] Bug: Exporting smart single quotes in Org 8.3 seems broken [8.3.

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Exporting smart single quotes in Org 8.3 seems broken [8.3.2 (8.3.2-elpa @ /Users/jonathan/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150929/)]
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 18:35:46 +0200

Hello,

Jonathan Oddie <address@hidden> writes:

> (This is a duplicate of a Stackexchange question posted at
> http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/17061/is-exporting-of-smart-single-quotes-broken-in-org-8-3)
>
> I cannot seem get single quotes to export as 'smart' quotes under Org
> 8.3.2.  Here is a minimal file that reproduces the problem:

>     #+LANGUAGE: en
>
>     This is 'within single quotes'.  This is "within double quotes".
>
> Expected behavior: from "emacs -Q", under which "M-x org-version"
> reports 8.2.10, the output when exporting to UTF-8 plaintext is:
>
>     This is ‘within single quotes’. This is “within double quotes”
>
> and the output when exporting to LaTeX is:
>
>     This is `within single quotes'.  This is ``within double quotes''.
>
> If I load the most recent version of org-mode (starting from "emacs -Q",
> typing "M-x package-initialize RET", and "M-x load-library RET org
> RET"), "org-version" reports 8.3.2, and the output no longer correctly
> translates single quotes.  In UTF-8 text, the result is:
>
>     This is ’within single quotes’. This is “within double quotes”.
>
> In LaTeX, the result is:
>
>     This is 'within single quotes'.  This is ``within double quotes''.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice,

The smart quotes algorithm changed. Now "..." are always level 1 quotes,
and '...' and always level 2. IOW, '...' are not treated as smart quotes
if they are not located within "...".

Note that for a given language, "..." can still be treated as single
quotes and '...' as double quotes.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou