Re: [O] A book produced using Org

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] A book produced using Org
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:50:20 +0200

Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:

>> Beautiful! I would love to see the org file! How did emacs perform which
>> such huge file?
>>

> Emacs had no trouble whatsoever. The main file is 9313 lines.
>
> I turned off evaluation of code blocks at export time. Many of the
> code blocks download data from FAO and other websites before using
> them. Evaluating all of them at export time would have meant too much
> lag in producing the pdf. So all code blocks had to be manually
> evaluated (C-c C-c), if I changed anything.

This is exactly what I do at the moment - it works perfectly, and one
has control over the execution of the code blocks.

One disadvantage: I have to be sure to have all code blocks evaluated. A
time step in the properties, specifying the lat execution time, would be
very nice...

> I did not manage to learn and use export filters. There were a couple
> of things that I needed to fix at the time of export. Since I could
> not handle those in org, I wrote a bash script that would use sed to
> clear up those things, and then create a pdf. But that was it.
>
> Although I do not know git very well, I can manage basic operations. I
> had a git repo to deal with versions. In the end, there were two
> versions: one that laid out the page on a larger stock paper with trim
> marks for the printer, and another that generated the online version
> for the FAO document repository.
>
> Let me put the files in a github repo and share the link.

That would be great - thanks.

Is there a worg page where links to documents created using org are
collected? This would be a brilliant addition!

The final document  looks really great!

Congratulations,

Rainer

> Vikas