Re: [O] Bug: \vert{} exported to markdown not as expected [8.3.1 (8.3.1-

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: \vert{} exported to markdown not as expected [8.3.1 (8.3.1-103-g366dc4-elpa @ /home/bitouze/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150907/)]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:47:32 +0200

Denis Bitouzé <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. For _, \under{} is necessary since _ at the org mode level is
>    exported as \_.
> 2. For |, source | could be okay. But I'd like to use strings as above
>    in tables and, AFAIK, the only way to have pipe symbols in a table at
>    the org mode level is to code them \vert{}.  And that's the purpose
>    of my bug report, \vert{} is exported as &vert;, not as "real" |.
>
> In other words, I was happy with \under{} that exports real _ and, IMHO,
> \vert{} should do the same with |.

Markdown export back-end use :html conventions to translate entities.
For some reason, HTML prefers &vert; over |, and so does markdown.

There are a few options available:

  1. Prefer | over &vert; in HTML
  2. Overwrite "vert" entity with a new one that would do 1. So
     basically, this is 1 but on your machine only.
  3. Use a new entity that becomes | when used in HTML export.

WDYT?

Regards,