Re: [O] Scheme code block gives false error message

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Scheme code block gives false error message
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:48:31 -0400

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, Nick, not following you. Could you elaborate more? As a rank
> beginner, I'm not sure what a backtrace is or how to produce one or
> how it read it. What do you mean by "master" and "maint"?

It's a debugging aid: it's a dump of the call stack at the time of the
error. It tells you how you got there.

See

  (info "(org) Feedback")

on how to enable it and produce a useful backtrace.

You read it from bottom to top: the bottom-most function has called
the next-to-bottom-most function, ..., which has called the top-most
function, which is in the middle of evaluating some expression when
the error occurred. The section on Debugging in the Emacs Lisp manual
contains more information.

Re: "master" and "maint" - I didn't know which version of org you were
using, so I tried it with both the master branch and the maint branch of
the git tree, as they were yesterday. I should probably have provided
more explicit versions but it was late and I was tired.

For the record, at the time that I was doing that:

"master" was Org-mode version 8.3.1 (release_8.3.1-234-g8c85c9 @
             /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)
"maint"  was Org-mode version 8.3.1 (release_8.3.1-120-gbc322f @
             /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)