Re: [O] obtain ob-template.el for Babel language extension

From: Thomas S . Dye
Subject: Re: [O] obtain ob-template.el for Babel language extension
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 07:15:37 -1000

Aloha Joe,

Joe Riel <address@hidden> writes:

> No offense, but the help pages on the code blocks could really use
> improvement.

Glad to have your help.  The documentation is a community effort.

> For example,
>
> Exporting code blocks
> ---------------------
> Nowhere does this section explain *how* you can export a code block,
> nor are there any links to pages that are helpful.  As a minimum it
> should include the relevant commands and the key bindings for
> exporting code blocks.  Where are they?

Typically, one doesn't export a code block by itself.  Instead, one
exports a document that includes one or more code blocks.  How to export
a document is covered in Chapter 12, Exporting.

> Evaluating code blocks
> ----------------------
> The second paragraph states that only 'emacs-lisp' is enabled by
> default.  Suppose I want to use something other than 'emacs-lisp',
> *how* do I enable that?  The parenthetical comment states that the
> Languages section lists the supoported languages but doesn't mention
> that the explanation of enabling other languages is there.  Better
> to not leave the reader hanging.  How about this:
>
> "By default, the evaluation facility is only enabled for Lisp code
> blocks specified as ‘emacs-lisp’.  See _Languages_ for instructions on
> enabling other languages and for a list of supported languages.  See
> _Structure of code blocks_ for information on the syntax used to
> define a code block."

I think this is an improvement.  IMHO it is almost always a good thing
to get rid of parenthetical statements.  Would you like to submit a
patch for org.texi?  You'll find instructions here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#orgheadline1

Another problem is the outdated list of supported languages in Section
14.7, Languages.  Perhaps this could be replaced by a pointer to the
more complete list maintained on Worg?  Should this section distinguish
the various levels of "support", e.g. core, contrib, and packages?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye