[O] [DEV] Text quoting backports

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: [O] [DEV] Text quoting backports
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 02:12:40 -0400

Hello,

There have been several commits made recently in the Emacs repo related
to quoting style in docstrings and messages.  I've backported the
changes touching Org files and pushed to the branch maint-quotes.  I put
them there instead of installing them directly on maint to allow time
for things in the Emacs repo to settle and to get feedback about how I
plan to incorporate these changes.  (Judging from the discussion on
emacs.devel [1-5], there may be various opinions on this.)

Regardless of how we decide to use these changes, I'd prefer to include
all the commits and then follow up with additional commits necessary to
get to the desired state.  This way there is a clear record of each
commit being considered.

Below is my plan at the moment, organized by different types of changes.
Thoughts?

* s/'symbol/`symbol'/

  Keep changes.

* s/'.*'/‘.*’/ and s/`.*'/‘.*’/

  Revert changes. Regardless of whether these substitutions are made,
  these will be handled by message and friends to display according to
  text-quoting-style, so the displayed result in the help buffer will be
  the same.

* s/\".*\" /“.*”/

  Revert changes.

* s/'/\\='/

  Keep changes.

* s/'(.*)/(.*)/

  Some of the changes removed single quotes.  For example,

  -    '((\"c\" \"d\" ((in-mode . \"message-mode\"))))
  +   ((\"c\" \"d\" ((in-mode . \"message-mode\"))))

  Others protected the single quote. For example,

  -    '((\"p\" \"q\" ((in-file . \"\\\\.txt\\\\'\"))))
  +    \\='((\"p\" \"q\" ((in-file . \"\\\\.txt\\\\'\"))))

  I've been unable to figure out the logic here as to when a quote form
  like this was removed versus protected.  I plan to convert all cases
  that were removed to \\=' instead.

* s/format/format-message/ calls

  Keep changes.

* Added substitute-command-keys calls

  Keep changes, but extend to use command names instead of hard coding
  keys.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/189240
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/188822
[3] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/189331