Re: [O] install org-element, org-db

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] install org-element, org-db
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 14:21:03 -0400

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, I got confused when I did M-x org-element-interpret-data and got
> nothing. I used it in a code block
> and it worked fine. Beginner question for sure: Why do these functions not
> work as M-x commands, rather,
> just in elisp code?

It's the difference between "commands" and functions. Commands are
functions that contain an (interactive) form and can be executed with
M-x <command> RET.  Functions need to be evaluated with M-: (<function>
<args>...) RET.

See the "command" entry in

   (info "(elisp) What is a function")

and references therein. I should say that the above is not quite
accurate but it captures 99% of what you need to know. Read the
references for the whole story.

> BTW, how would I run org-element-interpret-data and have it just place the
> output directly into my
> buffer without placing it in the #+RESULTS: output format? I see I can
> customize the #+RESULTS: word
> itself, and, of course, :results raw almost gets it, but still puts the
> #+RESULTS: label at the top.

M-: (org-element-interpret-data) RET

would evaluate the function, but any results would go to the echo area,
not your buffer. Adding a prefix argument would do what you want:

C-u M-: (org-element-interpret-data) RET

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     > What's the best way to install latest org-element and org-db? They're
> not
>     > default, are they? They're not in ELPA.
>
>     Don't know what org-db is.  Re org-element you should probably use the one
>     that comes with your org-package.  IOW, you general org version and your
>     org-element version should be in sync.
>
>     Hope it helps,
>     Rasmus
>
>     --
>     Tack, ni svenska vakttorn. Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä!

Nick