Re: [O] Pass options to \columns{} environment in beamer export

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Pass options to \columns{} environment in beamer export
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 23:16:42 -0500

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 6:25 AM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 06:41:45PM -0500, John Hendy wrote:
> >
> > I would not have guessed that from Worg, that's for sure. Thanks much for
> > chiming in.
>
> In the tutorial under "Special environments"[1], I see the following
> paragraph:
>
>   All contiguous environments are automatically wrapped in a columns
>   environment, although it can be forced at any point by setting the
>   BEAMER_env property to columns. This might be handy if you want to
>   pass special options.

I indeed saw said paragraph (it's quoted it in my initial email to the
list). I highly suspected it contained what I needed, I just didn't
know how to apply it practically.

> Do you think it could be worded more clearly?  When I wrote the article
> (which is quite a while back :-p), I was trying to be complete without
> being too verbose.  While working on your project, if you think of
> improvements to the article, please feel free to make the changes.  The
> article is in desperate need of updates.  I have a long list of
> additions, if only I could find the time.

Definitely, and I can take a stab at it now that I understand how it
works. I think what didn't register was the meaning of "contiguous
environments." I'm not really sure how to parse that.
- What is an "environment" (as in any of the b_xxx properties causes
it to be in a columns env. as well)?

- What is "contiguous" (I think I now understand this to mean
"nested.")? I guess I tend to think of contiguous as "of the same
part," which didn't immediately register as "parent/child." That said,
I think I *did* try putting the columns env property on my first level
headline, but that didn't work. I needed:

* Top
** Columns property
*** actual column 1
*** actual column 2