Re: [O] org-block-background in 8.3.1?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] org-block-background in 8.3.1?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:44:09 +0200

Kyle Meyer <address@hidden> writes:
> Luke Crook <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I still need to set "org-block-background" in 8.3.1.
>>
>> But if I do need to continue setting this, what is the new name for "org-
>> block-background"?
>>
>> (set-face-attribute 'org-block-background nil
>>                     :height (round (* 0.9 (face-attribute 'fixed-pitch
>> :height))))
>> (set-face-attribute 'org-block nil
>>                     :height (round (* 0.9 (face-attribute 'fixed-pitch
>> :height))))
>
> org-block-background was removed in f8b42e8 ("Don't use an overlay for
> src blocks backgrounds", 2014-07-28) for performance reasons.

IIRC, we never saw a profiler report showing that it slowed down buffer
fontification in a visible way.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Really, it has been removed because of a problem when ps-print'ing an
Org buffer -- though the bug was to find in `ps-def.el' and not in Org,
as reported by Stefan Monnier [1].  It should have been fixed there
instead.

> I'm not aware of anything that has been introduced in its place.

I'm planning to reintroduce it as an optional feature.  At least in my
personal Git repository, if that's not accepted in Org core.

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-07/msg00403.html

--