Re: [O] "Capture"-like browser plugin?

From: Jay Dresser
Subject: Re: [O] "Capture"-like browser plugin?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 19:48:51 +0000 (UTC)

Peter Davis <pfd <at> pfdstudio.com> writes:
> Frequently when I'm doing a Web search and find pages I like, I want to
save a link to the page, along with the
> title and perhaps a
> few notes. Something like org-mode's capture would be great, but I'd like
to initiate it from a browser. I
> imaging hitting a plugin
> button on the the browser's toolbar to open emacs via emacsclient, and
essentially do a capture with the
> link and whatever text I
> care to enter.
>
> Has anyone seen or heard of or written something like this?
>
> Thanks!
> -pd

Not sure that you need a plug-in or extension, I just use this bookmarklet:

javascript:location.href='org-
protocol://capture://x/'+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'/'+encodeURIComp
onent(document.title)+'/'+encodeURIComponent(prompt('Tags?'))

It prompts for the tags, which I separate with ":" (to be org-like).
This works fine in Chromium and I would think Firefox too.

Then it calls this capture template:

                ("x" "Browser Capture to Incoming"
                 entry
                 (file+headline "~/Org/bookmarks.org" "Incoming")
                 :immediate-finish t)

This makes bookmarks of the form:
 * [[url][title]] :tags:

but of course you can change that with the template.