Re: [O] Trouble passing variables into shell blocks on windows

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: [O] Trouble passing variables into shell blocks on windows
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 14:28:32 +0100

On Sun 14 Jun 2015, Johan W. Klüwer wrote:

> I'm having difficulties passing org variables into shell source blocks.
> This is using Windows 7 and Cygwin with bash shell. For instance, the
> following
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC sh :var x="."
>   ls $x
> #+END_SRC
>
> fails with the error message (as displayed in emacs)
>
>   ls: cannot access .^M^M : No such file or directory
>

> As far as I can see, the first ^M stems from org-babel-sh-var-quote-fmt,
> and the second from org-babel-expand-body:generic, but I haven't been able
> to figure out a solution. Any suggestions?

I can reproduce this using the native Windows build of emacs. If you are
using cygwin tools, consider using a cygwin build of emacs, which will
not suffer from this problem.

If you running an X server then the cygwin emacs-X11 package is what you
need. If you don't want to run an X server then the emacs-w32 package
may fit your needs (a cygwin native build of emacs that uses the Windows
GUI for display).

HTH,

    AndyM