Re: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 14:24:32 +0100

For me, I was interested in integrating it with my literate work
(lentic). The idea would be a document with some formal representation
(using OWL, but it could be anything at all) and some English (or bad
English as this is science) representation in the org-mode view.

I could hide the formal view, and use this to generate a word doc for
the biologists to say "is this what you said, and what you mean?". Then
use their comments and feedback to update both the English AND the
formal representation.

I've already had a paper bounced on the (daft) grounds that "biologists
are never going to use Emacs and Clojure" (which I never said they
would). A word based representation would be fantastic.

I shall investigate further.

Phil

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> I also wasn't familiar with it.
>
> I just played around with it a bit to see if you could integrate org-ref
> with this. You mostly can do it, but the document probably would need
> some final manual polishing for some things.
>
> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/06/11/ox-pandoc-org-mode-+-org-ref-to-docx-with-bibliographies/
>

> Phillip Lord writes:
>
>> I didn't know about this -- this could be a killer feature for me. I
>> work a lot with biologists and medics and they are completely
>> word-centric.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> Titus von der Malsburg <address@hidden> writes:

>>> With ox-pandoc you can export to .docx directly.  No need to go through
>>> LaTeX.  Ox-pandoc is pretty amazing.
>>>
>>>   Titus

> --
> Professor John Kitchin
> Doherty Hall A207F
> Department of Chemical Engineering
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
> 412-268-7803
> @johnkitchin
> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

--
Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 208 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: address@hidden