[O] sharing clock time across headlines/files

From: Seb
Subject: [O] sharing clock time across headlines/files
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 15:50:27 -0500

Hi,

I'm having trouble finding the proper set up to build a clock table that
would show me the time spent in different activities that are shared
across headlines or even files.  For example, I'd like to track time
spent in these activities: 1) data preparation, 2) analysis, 3)
graphing.  These activities would be scattered across many projects,
having their own headline tree.  However, clocking only works on
headlines, so one would have to put each project under these activities,
which doesn't make sense.

I thought this might be a good scenario to use tags:

* Data preparation    :data preparation:

* Analysis            :analysis:

* Graphing            :graphing:

* Project 1

** Subproject A       :data preparation:analysis:

* Project 2

** Subproject X       :analysis:graphing

* Project 3

** Subproject Y        :data preparation:analysis:graphing

Then one would clock any of these headlines, and then request a clock
table summarizing the activities regardless of project.  I realize there
are some pitfalls with this approach, since care would be needed not to
clock the headline for the activitiy itself.  Or is there a better way
to accomplish this?

Cheers,

--
Seb