[O] `org-agenda-sorting-strategy` -- missing text properties.

From: Keith David Bershatsky
Subject: [O] `org-agenda-sorting-strategy` -- missing text properties.
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 16:43:10 -0700

There are nine (9) places in org-version 8.2.10 (which is included within Emacs
public release 24.5.1) that could use some attention by the org-mode team.  I
have fixed it in my own custom version of org-mode, but I have seen a couple of
questions recently on the Emacs forums by users wondering why the sorting
strategy does not always work in various situations.  The reason why users are
having problems is because not all of the text properties are added during the
data gathering process that are needed for `org-entries-lessp` to do its job.
I would suggest that the org-mode team look at all nine (9) locations where
`org-add-props txt props` is used and try to add as many additional text
properties as possible for members of the `org-agenda-sorting-strategy`.  Of
course, the org-mode team will need to make decisions and code will need to be
added to gather/assign the applicable values before the text-properties can be
assigned.  In a nutshell, if the `org-agenda-sorting-strategy` offers a sorting
type, then an effort should be made within the code to assign those
corresponding text properties when the data is gathered.  Decisions by the
org-mode team, include, but are not limited to, which timestamp will be used
for a sorting date when both deadline and scheduled are present -- perhaps even
a new sorting thing-a-ma-jig to deal with that special situation should be
created.

Thanks,

Keith