Re: [O] orgmode to markdown

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] orgmode to markdown
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 00:18:02 +0200

flow <address@hidden> writes:

> I guessed setext support 6 levels so I don't know why ox-md supprot just
> 2 levels although my exporter seems to support 3 levels. Why?

Setext style supports only 2 levels. Atx supports 6 of them, per
<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#header>.

> That's a good question but not what I wanted to know. What I want -and
> I would like to know whay ox-md doesn't- is to export org as org-mode
> to html does:
>
> - The title becomes h1, so the org title becomes # or ===, I don't mind
> - The * becomes h2, so the org * becomes ## or ----
> - The ** becomes h3, so the org ** becomes ### (in case it supports 3
> leveles)
> - etc.
>
> What do you think about it?

I think it is very opinionated and may be undesirable in the general
case. It means that every headline would be numbered 1.xxx.

Also some Markdown extensions provide meta-data keywords to specify,
e.g., the title of the document. This behaviour would just get in the
way for them since headlines would get one too many level with no real
reason.

There are several workarounds:

  - you can define filters to add another level to each headline and
    title at the beginning of the document.

  - you can use a {{{title}}} macro, e.g.,

      @@md:#@@ {{{title}}}

    and shift other headlines

If this is common enough, we could also add a defcustom to toggle this
behaviour (yet, off by default). But is it common enough?

Regards,