Re: [O] org-use-property-inheritance not working?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-use-property-inheritance not working?
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 18:01:16 +0200

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> This means *a specific property* - or *any property*? In other words:
> can property A inherit from one level lower if property B is set in the
> current level?

It can.

> [...]
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
>
> Therefore from now on, we will only look at the current level and
> ignore properties set at lower levels - correct?
>
> * Without properties
> #+begin_src
> 13
> #+end_src
>
> ,----
> | Properties:
> |     :header-args    :tangle-mode (identity #o444) :eval no-export
> |     :header-args:nil        nil
> | Switches:
> | Header Arguments:
> |     :cache          no
> |     :eval           no-export
> |     :exports        code
> |     :hlines         no
> |     :noweb          no
> |     :results        replace
> |     :session        none
> |     :tangle         no
> |     :tangle-mode    292
> `----
>
> * With Properties at level one
> :PROPERTIES:
> :header-args+: :tangle SetAtFirstLevel
> :header-args+: :output-dir ./output
> :END:
>
> #+begin_src R
> 13
> #+end_src
>
> ,----
> | Lang: R
> | Properties:
> |     :header-args    :tangle-mode (identity #o444) :eval no-export :tangle
> SetAtFirstLevel :output-dir ./output
> |     :header-args:R  :session *R.EnergyBalance*
> | Header Arguments:
> |     :cache          no
> |     :eval           no-export
> |     :exports        code
> |     :hlines         no
> |     :noweb          no
> |     :output-dir     ./output
> |     :results        replace
> |     :session        *R.EnergyBalance*
> |     :tangle         ./output/scripts/analysisCode.do.not.source.R
> |     :tangle-mode    292
> `----
>
> ** Second level without properties
> These should now be the same as [[Without properties]] as
> org-use-property-inheritance is nil.
> #+begin_src R
> cat(13)
> #+end_src
>
> But it is the same as [[With Properties at level one]].
> ,----
> | Lang: R
> | Properties:
> |     :header-args    :tangle-mode (identity #o444) :eval no-export :tangle
> SetAtFirstLevel :output-dir ./output
> |     :header-args:R  :session *R.EnergyBalance*
> | Header Arguments:
> |     :cache          no
> |     :eval           no-export
> |     :exports        code
> |     :hlines         no
> |     :noweb          no
> |     :output-dir     ./output
> |     :results        replace
> |     :session        *R.EnergyBalance*
> |     :tangle         ./output/scripts/analysisCode.do.not.source.R

There's no bug.

Babel activates inheritance on purpose, no matter what
`org-use-property-inheritance' says. See the last line of its docstring:
"ob-core.el" (in particular `org-babel-view-src-block-info') calls
`org-entry-get' with `t', not `selective'.

Really, `org-use-property-inheritance' is for your own properties. Org
ignores it to handle its own internal properties.

> Concerning property accumulation: I assume you mean the header-args+ -
> correct? Because I could not find the term "accumu" in the org manual.

Correct.

I don't think they have a name, but they should, because they are
a different beast than regular properties.

> Are these properties treated as a normal properties, and the same rules
> apply, or are there specific rules?

They follow specific rules. For example there can only be one property
A in a given property drawer, but there can be as many A+ as you want.
Also, (org-entry-get (point) "A+") will not return something meaningful.

Regards,