Re: [O] Testers / Feedback wanted: Gantt charts via org-gantt.el

From: Axel Kielhorn
Subject: Re: [O] Testers / Feedback wanted: Gantt charts via org-gantt.el
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 15:13:19 +0200

> Am 30.05.2015 um 13:33 schrieb Bernhard Schmitz <address@hidden>:
>
> Hi,
>
> my org-gantt.el is now in a usable state. It creates gantt charts via
> pgfgantt directly from headlines in org mode, using deadlines, schedules,
> effort estimates and (optionally) clocked time.

Sounds like a good idea.
I tried writing pgfgantt manually but once I finished updating the chart, it
was already out of date.
Getting the information from org would be fine.

I tried org-gantt on a current project and ran into one problem:

I track progress with
* Task [%]
and
* Task [/]

Of course the % causes a problem when exporting to LaTeX.
I suggest to either ignore [%] and [/] or use them as an alternative to show
how much is completed.
It is probably a better metric than hours worked.

pgfgantt doesn’t handle \ganttbar commands without start and end date.
Therefor I can’t export an incomplete chart.
You may want to set the entries with missing scheduling information to the
first day of the chart.
(Maybe mark the task or label with a color to indicate that they are
incomplete.)
(See below for some different ideas.)

A two month chart doesn’t fit into \textwidth.
I wrapped it into a sideways environment (provided by rotating.sty), maybe a
sideways option?
For a project with 2000 person hours[1] I’ll probably need a separate export
and print it on A0 paper[2].
Some kind of scaling would be fine (show weeks / month instead of days).

For a huge project it may be nice to limit the levels printed:
Just Module 1 - 8 for the Management and each Module with the submodules for
the project leader.
Similar to maxlevel in the clocktable.

I’m not sure about inheritance:
If I have a deadline for a task, should the subtasks inherit that deadline
unless an explicit deadline is given?
If I have a deadline for a task and efforts for all subtasks, should the task
inherit that effort?

That way I can give a deadline to the task and estimate efforts to get an
initial chart.
Using this chart I can divide the subtasks between workers, rearrange the
deadlines for the subtasks and finally define a scheduled date for the main
task.

This gives me another idea:
Filter / color by tag.
Print only tasks tagged :Axel: to show my workload, and print tasks tagged
:Sam_One: to show tasks I have delegated.
Color tasks by tags to show who is assigned, white for unassigned tasks.

Axel

[1] A 2000 PH project is not my usual project size, a few hundred is more
common.
[2] I have access to an A0 printer but I usually draw with felt markers on
(literal) wallpaper.
    Much faster for an initial design and I can use „real“ cut and paste:-)