Re: [O] jabref like orgmode based solution to bibliography management (n

From: Xebar Saram
Subject: Re: [O] jabref like orgmode based solution to bibliography management (not for latex)
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 13:01:56 +0300

Thanks so much everyone for these great replies. i will investigate this further today and let everyone know how im going with my transition :)

thanks again

PS: Titus, do you think  that the helm-bibtex APA style reference list could be user customizable in the future?

Z.

On 2015-05-30 Sat 01:20, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i have been using jabref for the past 2-4 years in my academia work to
> manage my reference library. i dont use latex (..its on my TODO list...when
> (f ever) i have time..) so for now i just want something to manage my
> references. the key things i need to move over from jabref are:

Author of helm-bibtex here.

> 1. easy add references

Helm-bibtex doesn’t deal with this because I prefer to edit my BibTeX
file by hand.  BibTeX retrieved from journals is almost always messy and
I need to edit it anyway.  It’s not too hard, though: I click on BibTeX
export on the journal page, the BibTeX file is opened in Emacs, I fix
it, and use a command that appends it to my bibliography.

However, I think org-ref has tools that do more to support importing new
entries and org-ref combines well with helm-bibtex.

Org-ref has doi-utils that let you add bibtex entries and download PDFs from a doi or crossref query.

> 2. a way to quick filter references (helm bibtex seems like a good solution)

That’s what helm-bibtex was written to solve.

> 3. filter lists based on tags/keywords (orgmode has that covered)

In helm-bibtex you can also search for keywords and tags.

> 4. this one is important: a way to quickly export selected references in
> word/odf/html based on a pre fixed style (ie  Nature, Chicago etc)

helm-bibtex can generate references in APA style but as far as I can see
Chicago style is very similar, so it shouldn’t be hard to add support
for that.

> anyone uses such a system in emacs/org and can recommend the way to
> go?

For more details, see: https://github.com/tmalsburg/helm-bibtex

  Titus

--