[O] Easy to use asking for Or-gmode property values (e.g., for Org-conta

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Easy to use asking for Or-gmode property values (e.g., for Org-contacts)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 12:11:28 +0200

Hi!

I am using Org-contacts that way, that I copy new information from
external sources and move them to the properties afterwards:

: ** Firstname Lastname                      :FirstnameLastname:
: :PROPERTIES:
: :TYPE:
: :TITLE:
: :EMAIL: address@hidden
: :MOBILE: 0043/
: :HOMEPHONE:
: :WORKPHONE:
: :PHONE:
: :COMPANY: This Company
: :STREET: Companystreet 42
: :POSTALCODE: 8010
: :CITY: Thiscity
: :COUNTRY: Österreich
: :PHOTOGRAPH: [[photo:FirstnameLastname.jpg]]
: :BORN: 1970-12-31
: :ITOLDTHEM_EMAIL: address@hidden
: :ITOLDTHEM_ADDRESS:
: :ITOLDTHEM_PHONE:
: :ADDRESS_CHANGE_METHOD: email
: :CREATED:  [2015-05-27 Wed 19:46]
: :END:
:
: - <2013-01-13 Fri> met at dinner party
:   - This old company
:   - address@hidden
: - <2015-05-27 Wed> contact from XING with new data
:   - This Company
:   - address@hidden
:   - Companystreet 42, 8010 Thiscity
:   - he is born on December 31st, 1970

This way, I do have the whole history below the properties and the
most current information.

The task of adding information is tedious: copy & paste from external
sources and then copy & paste to the properties accordingly.

This is why I came up with this idea: how about I paste new
information at the end of and then call a function which helps me a
lot:

- ask for each property (or a set of pre-defined properties)
  - prompt property name
  - let the user mark a region using keyboard or mouse
  - if user presses confirmation keyoard shortcut (return?)
    - if region: copy the region and set it as the new content for the current
      property (overwriting any old property settings)
    - if no region is set: do not change property

The workflow would improve a lot! And I do guess that this might be a
very handy function for lots of other purposes as well: ask me for all
or some properties!

With my very limited understanding of elisp: can this (easily) done?

Is there a code snippet which does similar stuff?

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github